Named as Deskit Gompa, it is one of the largest and oldest in Nubra Valley. Belonging to the Yellow Hat or Gelugpa sect, it was founded in the 14th century and has innumerable frescos and murals adorning the ancient walls. The Tibetan-styled gompa is situated at the highest point with numerous chortens scattered around it. The 760-year old monastery houses over 100-120 monks. Founded by the disciple of Tsong Khapa, Changzem Tserab Zangpo, it was allocated to the Thiksey monastery in the 18th century and continues to be administered by it. With panoramic views of the Nubra Valley, the elevated cupola at the monastery has the famed fresco portraying the Tibetan monastery of Tashi Lhunpo.
The cultural significance of the 15th century Tibetan monastery is due to the fact that it was set up by 1st Dalai Lama in 1447. In the main prayer hall, the magnificent statue of Maitreya Buddha and numerous sculptured guardian deities has been enshrined.